There is no logical answer to how many words are in the English language, or an accurate count of how many words contain your search filters such as word origin, speech type such as noun or verb, consonants, vowels, syllables, letters or letter. Counting the number of words in English is near impossible if at all possible. When you're asking this dictionary questions such as how many words with 2 consonants, or how many words have 2 syllables. I give you the most accurate result possible. I do not include many words that are double words, also called collocation words. I do however provide compound words, but not all of them.
Why It's Difficult To Count Words.
Have you ever asked the question, What Is A Word?. This question, is why it's difficult to count words in the English language. Is the word "trip" one word or two words? Is it a verb for a vacation, or a verb for stumble and fall - do they both count as a being a "word"? Does two definitions, consider the word to be two different words or is it still just one word? When we say roadtrip (road-trip, road trip), is this one word, or two? I see it as a simple collocation of two seperate words (Road and Trip) making road-trip/road trip a phrase. But, does it count as one word, or two? If I start counting road trip as two words. Then we would also have to count all collocations and inflections as a word too. Dining table, is this a word as it explains a specific item? I think you get the idea.
You can perform counting searches using the search bar at the top of this page, in the following styles. Or, create your own. Here are a few examples.
- How many words are singular?
- How many words are plural?
- How many words are conjunctions?
- How many compound words are nouns?
- How many double consonant words with 3 syllables?
- How many words are nouns with 7 letters and 3 vowels?
- Count verbs with 4 vowels
- Count double consonant words that are adjectives and do not have the letter b
- How many words have 2 syllables, 3 vowels and double consonants
- How many words have 3 syllables, are nouns and of old english origins
List ( View All 413,465 Words )