- Types Of Speech
- You can use down as a article, noun, adverb, adjective satellite or as a verb in a sentence.
- About Down
- A 1 syllables article and 4 letters with the letters d, n, o, and w, 3 consonants, 1 vowels and 1 syllables with the middle letters ow. Down starts with and ends in a consonant with the starting letters d, do, dow, and the ending characters are n, wn, own, ..
- (American football) a complete play to advance the football; "you have 4 downs to gain 10 yards"
- Middle English
- School Grade
- Down is set as a kindergarten word that starts with d, ends with n, 1 syllables, 1 vowels and 4 letters.
- Is down a scrabble word? A 8 point word in scrabble. Check the word games tab below for probability, odds and more.
- Pig Latin
- Down in Pig Latin is said as "ownday or owndway".
- d | o | w | n
- do | ow | wn
- dow | own
- Word Gram
- Noun Examples
- (American football) a complete play to advance the football;
"you have 4 downs to gain 10 yards"
- soft fine feathers
- fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
- (usually plural) a rolling treeless highland with little soil
- English physician who first described down's syndrome (1828-1896)
- Verb Examples
- improve or perfect by pruning or polishing;
"refine one's style of writing"
- bring down or defeat (an opponent)
- eat immoderately;
"Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- drink down entirely;
"He downed three martinis before dinner";
"She killed a bottle of brandy that night";
"They popped a few beer after work"
- cause to come or go down;
"The policeman downed the heavily armed suspect";
"The mugger knocked down the old lady after she refused to hand over her wallet"
- shoot at and force to come down;
"the enemy landed several of our aircraft"
- Adjective Satellite Examples
- the fractional price paid in cash at time of purchase;
"the down payment";
"a payment of $200 down"
- not functioning (temporarily or permanently);
"we can't work because the computer is down"
- cut down;
"the tree is down"
"the shades were down"
- understood perfectly;
"had his algebra problems down"
- Article Examples
- being or moving lower in position or less in some value;
"lay face down";
"the moon is down";
"our team is down by a run";
"down by a pawn";
"the stock market is down today"
- Adverb Examples
- spatially or metaphorically from a higher to a lower level or position;
"don't fall down";
"rode the lift up and skied down";
"prices plunged downward"
- away from a more central or a more northerly place;
"was sent down to work at the regional office";
"worked down on the farm";
"came down for the wedding";
"flew down to Florida"
- paid in cash at time of purchase;
"put ten dollars down on the necklace"
- in an inactive or inoperative state;
"the factory went down during the strike";
"the computer went down again"
- to a lower intensity;
"he slowly phased down the light until the stage was completely black"
- from an earlier time;
"the story was passed down from father to son"
|Abraded||having the skin scraped off|
"skinned knees and scraped elbows"
|Absolute||something that is conceived to be absolute|
something that does not depends on anything else and is beyond human control
"no mortal being can influence the absolute"
|Absorb||cause to become one with|
"The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax"
|Accomplished||successfully completed or brought to an end|
"his mission accomplished he took a vacation"
"the completed project"
"the joy of a realized ambition overcame him"
|Actively||in an active manner|
"he participated actively in the war"
|Ailing||somewhat ill or prone to illness|
"my poor ailing grandmother"
"feeling a bit indisposed today"
"you look a little peaked"
"a sickly child"
"is unwell and can''t come to work"
|Ailment||an often persistent bodily disorder or disease|
a cause for complaining
|Air||travel via aircraft|
"air travel involves too much waiting in airports"
"if you''ve time to spare go by air"
View all cognitive synonyms for Down
|Down||(American football) a complete play to advance the football|
"you have 4 downs to gain 10 yards"
View English words with the unique letters used in down. Words With The Letters Dnow
|Play||the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully|
|Turn||taking a short walk out and back|
"we took a turn in the park"
|Negative Feelings||Describe down||A word list of negative feeling words and the best English words to describe negative emotions. Emotional negative words... read more|
|Word||Scrabble||Words With Friends||Word Chums||4Pics1Word||Jumble|
|Down (4 letters)||8||9||down|
|Wodan (5 letters)||9 +1||10 +1||adown|
|Downy (5 letters)||12 +4||12 +3||downy|
|Adown (5 letters)||9 +1||10 +1||adown|
Down Is In These Word Lists
- Starts With D
- Ends With N
- Spelled With / Contains Letters