- Types Of Speech
- You can use contrary as a noun or as a adjective satellite in a sentence.
- About Contrary
- A 3 syllables noun and 8 letters with the letters a, c, n, o, r, t, and y, 6 consonants, 2 vowels and 3 syllables with the middle letters tr. Contrary starts with and ends in a consonant with the starting letters c, co, con, cont, contr, and the ending characters are y, ry, ary, rary, trary, ..
- Two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
- Middle English
- Pig Latin
- Contrary in Pig Latin is said as "ontrarycay or ontrarycway".
- c | o | n | t | r | a | r | y
- co | on | nt | tr | ra | ar | ry
- con | ont | ntr | tra | rar | ary
- cont | ontr | ntra | trar | rary
- Word Gram
- Noun Examples
- two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false
- exact opposition;
"public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
- a relation of direct opposition;
"we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
- Adjective Satellite Examples
- in an opposing direction;
"a contrary wind"
- resistant to guidance or discipline;
"Mary Mary quite contrary";
"an obstinate child with a violent temper";
"a perverse mood";
- very opposed in nature or character or purpose;
"acts contrary to our code of ethics";
"the facts point to a contrary conclusion"
- of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false;
"`hot' and `cold' are contrary terms"
|Abhorrent||offensive to the mind|
"an abhorrent deed"
"the obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"
"morally repugnant customs"
"the most repulsive character in recent novels"
|Adversary||someone who offers opposition|
|Adversative||expressing antithesis or opposition|
"the adversative conjunction `but'' in `poor but happy''"
|Adverse||in an opposing direction|
"a contrary wind"
|Alien||a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere|
|Antagonist||a drug that neutralizes or counteracts the effects of another drug|
|Antagonistic||opposing or neutralizing or mitigating an effect by contrary action|
View all cognitive synonyms for Contrary
|Contrary||two propositions are contraries if both cannot be true but both can be false|
View English words with the unique letters used in contrary. Words With The Letters Acnorty
Contrary Is In These Word Lists
- Starts With C
- Ends With Y
- Spelled With / Contains Letters